[UK-CONTEST] A Gentlemanly Contest ?

M0RNR M0RNR at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 2 17:08:06 EDT 2005

Oh I do love it when I return from a major contest to find the back biting
and bitching happening almost instantaneously, it makes you wonder if its
really worth all the effort!

There has been an email on this reflector implying that certain rule
breaking has taken place even to the point of accusations of cheating. This
is a long and, to be quite honest, dull debate that takes place after most
major contests. I don’t even want to get into the ins and outs of the
“interpretations of the rules” issues as, in my humble opinion, its been
done to death. There is a simple way to accommodate those who may wish to
run large multi op multi radio stations (notice no mention of cheating!), a
multi multi section of the IOTA contest, it’s a big enough contest to
warrant it and it would leave everyone to compete in their own little niche
and leave those who want to put on a big station and compete with other
likeminded individuals/groups to do so!

However, As someone had posted a comment on the cluster during the contest
implying CQ was being called on 2 frequencies, I feel I have to put finger
to key and clarify the whole issue, so there can be no ambiguity. I was the
person calling CQ on 10m whilst GM2T was also running on 20m! It was a
genuine mistake, and I’m also man enough to stand up and admit it, rather
than covertly implying it in snide comments on the cluster or contest
reflector. The issue started at 09:01 GMT and lasted until 09:11 GMT a huge
total of 13 QSO’s (none of which were islands) on 10m. We had two stations
back to back at opposite ends of the room and there was a misunderstanding
as to who was running and who was on S&P, as soon as I saw the spot, which
was posted at 09:08hrs I checked with the other station and stopped, and I’m
sure the team would be more than willing to wipe all 13 QSO’s from our score
if everyone feels that strongly about it. However if that’s cheating then
shoot me!

Interestingly, the said email from a single operator island dx-pedition
entrant was written in the plural tense “checking through our contest notes”
“we have managed to source new equipment ” to quote from two recent emails.
Me thinks the operator implies that there was more than one of him “oh my
lord – he wasn’t cheating was he?” or did he take another operator with him
so he could police the bands for people making the odd error, and compiling
his reports about it? You know what – I don’t really care how many of them
were on the island because it doesn’t bother me that much and I normally
keep my opinions to myself, rather than letting the rest of the contest
community know about it.

Gentlemanly – I’d like to think so, but from the tone of some Emails – maybe
not!

All that said, IOTA is still my favourite contest and narrow minded
individuals aren’t going to spoil my enjoyment of this great weekend -
because for me its about being with my mates, having a beer or two, having a
good time, catching up with people I haven’t seen since October, on an
Island where we have been welcomed openly by the whole community for the
last 8 years, oh yeah and screaming into a microphone for 24 hours

.its not
just about winning a radio contest.

Rant over – well-done RSGB for organising a fantastic contest – shame about
the opinions of some but then hey, it’d be boring if we were all the same.
Any chance we could have a multi multi section in future so I don’t have to
embarrass myself and our team defending an honest mistake.

73’s

Brian
M0RNR

On behalf of GM2T from the Isle of Tiree

3 Mews Court
Hall Lane
Houghton le Spring
DH5 8GB

+44(0)7734668080

This message is scanned on despatch by norton anti virus 2005 and should
arrive virus free.