[UK-CONTEST] Revision of our Licence

Mark Marsden mm at plextek.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 08:57:47 EDT 2005

I have had discussions with colleagues here at work who work with Ofcom.

I wanted clarification of what Ofcom meant by "Question 5: Do you agree
that WT Act licence exemption for radio amateurs is not currently
practical?"

The opinion here is that in terms of the WT act there are some
transmitters that are licence-exempt some examples of these are mobile
phones, WiFi 802.11 and keyfobs.

If Ofcom persue de-regulation of amateur radio the odds are that by
then:
1) you won't have a licence
2) you won't be able to operate abroad
3) no DxPeditions (unless you already have an overseas licence)
4) no R&TTE exemption so individual homebrew equipment will have to be
tested to ETSI specs
5) you won't be able to import amateur equipment that needs a licence

There's more, but just this list alone prompted me to respond. I majored
on the economic value of DxPeditions and how individuals spend tens of
thousand of pounds on stations that need NOV's.

Bear in mind that we are now communicating with economists, and there
are some who think radio waves stop at county borders.

73 Mark G4AXX