[UK-CONTEST] Revision of our Licence

Don Beattie g3ozf at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 6 05:19:16 EDT 2005

I suspect the bit Jim found on the Ofcom site is the real reason behind the
drive for WT Act exemption:

"Because Ofcom will not have much information about the location and use
of license exempt apparatus/ equipment, it is impractical to investigate
or manage the interference to, or between, items of exempt
apparatus/equipment"

If amateur radio is exempt, then Ofcom can wash its hands of responsibility
for investigating interference (SMPSUs which do not meet the EU Directive,
PLT systems which exceed the emission limits etc etc etc)  It would be open
house for EMC non-conforming equipment. We know that the RIS has been scaled
down, and Ofcom is looking, I am sure, for a reason not to have to
investigate complaints of interference to the Amateur Service.

Don, G3BJ