[UK-CONTEST] Revision of our Licence

Jim Balls jim at j1mbo.f9.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 04:36:20 EDT 2005

I've sent my reply along with the wifes, that's 2 more.
I feel we all need to air our opinion at least then if enough of us
reply we may have a chance in the European courts, should it get that far.

Also i like this section from OFCOMS website on WT License Exempt

"Because Ofcom will not have much information about the location and use
of license exempt apparatus/ equipment, it is impractical to investigate
or manage the interference to, or between, items of exempt
apparatus/equipment. Users of such equipment should be aware that there
may be heavy sharing at certain locations and the ability of equipment
to withstand interference may depend on its design, quality and
robustness. There are many past examples of poor quality equipment
failing to work in the proximity of compliant licensed networks and
services using other frequencies. Ofcom has no powers to regulate the
quality of such devices if they comply with the minimum international
standards.

When considering frequencies suitable for exemption Ofcom must take into
account the difficulties involved in subsequent re-allocation of the
spectrum. The problem arises due to the nature of unlicensed / exempt
frequencies - i.e. no or very little data exists on its use (who, where,
what etc.) – which means that changing the designated use of the
spectrum takes time and is difficult to do. Nevertheless Ofcom will
continue to make exemption regulations wherever possible. "

They obviously don't understand what Amateur Radio is, does or could do
... I guess Ofcom is run by accountants, for accountants with no regard
to anyone or anything else ... just like any other government controlled
business.

Jim