[UK-CONTEST] M8C IOTA Contest 2005

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Sun Aug 14 06:01:41 EDT 2005

After Chris G3SJJ's tale of woe from GU8D, I have to report that the
smaller-scale Cray Valley RS expedition to the Isles of Scilly went
without a hitch, and we found conditions during the contest greatly
improved over last year, and much better than we could expect at this
point of the cycle.

The team travelled on the Scillonian ferry on the preceeding Monday, and
because we planned to take a few more things compared with 2004, we
arranged for two cars to be transported in the ferry's hold. Ralph's car
tipped alarmingly when the crane picked it up on the harbour-side at
Penzance, but fortunately nothing spilled out.

We arrived on site at 1pm and found a good selection of steel scaffold
poles waiting for us. We managed to get all the antennas up and the
cables run back to the barn before leaving for the evening. Most of the
team had driven the 300 miles to Penzance overnight so everyone was too
knackered to put the station on the air that evening.

We managed to increase the height of the main antennas by 10ft over last
year, which led to some problems as the rotator cables weren't quite
long enough. Nevertheless with steel poles we couldn't get anything up
really high and no support was higher than 40ft. The superb location on
the east coast of the island compensated somewhat for the lack of
antenna height.

The days before the contest were spent mainly on VHF (2m and 6m) and the
WARC bands, and Chris G0FDZ again brought 10GHz gear, with a bigger
dish, and his best QSO was over 550km. He and I also spent many hours
trying to get the GPRS card (kindly loaned by G4TSH) to integrate with
the Writelog network. It wouldn't do it at all on the W98SE laptops, we
had a little more success with Win2000 but we couldn't get it working
reliably and we realised that for the second year running we'd have to
have a stand-alone cluster machine and could not feed spots into
Writelog. I was concerned that our multiplier performance would suffer
and this turned out to be the case.

Unlike last year there was no strong 10m opening at the start of the
contest so Ralph 2E0ATY kicked off on 20, but the band was a zoo and he
found it hard to copy with all the continental QRM and wide signals. all
of a sudden the fact we were on EU-011 didn't seem to matter: very
different from the situation before the contest. He strugged along while
I knocked off mults on CW, and after about 45 minutes we felt 10m would
be good enough to run and the rate picked up, but once we switched to
15m we followed with 171Qs and 181Qs in hours three and four.

 From then on, we ran as hard as we could, and I kept telling them that
conditions couldn't possibly stay as good as this: I felt a flare was on
the way. After last year's doldrums it was great to be able to run 15m
until nearly 2300z and 20m was still open when we left it just after
0100z. I was becoming concerned that we wouldn't have enough time to
pull in Qs and mults on 40 and 80m - what a nice dilemma!

The real revelation was the performance of Simon M3CVN on CW. Last year
he had no code at all, but resolved to work on it and I got him started
last autumn, using G4FON's excellent Koch software. This year he was
confidently running CW pileups at rates of over 100/hour. It also meant
that the team wasn't totally reliant on me to work the mults on CW.

My predictions proved wrong and although DX conditions weren't great, 15
and 10m were wide open to Europe on Sunday as well. We never heard ZL
but managed to get VK3 and VK7 on 20m for a couple of mults, and we
worked a couple of dozen JAs (our best direction) which was an
improvement on last year's single one.

We're extremely pleased with the QSO total, well over 3k Qs using very
modest antennas, and I'm sure it's the mults that will let us down. We
had said  we wouldn't go back again but the whole trip, including some
great openings on 6m in the week beforehand, has made us want to return
in 2006 and give it another go.

As well as my wife Denise, Nobby G0VJG and Ralph 2E0ATY had brought
their partners and we managed to combine the radio trip with some
walking and visits to the other islands, and of course the pubs. The
Isles of Scilly are a wonderful holiday location. We met both of the
resident amateurs on St Mary's, M1IOS and G3RPC.

Final score may differ a bit from the following as there may be one or
two dodgy multipliers. I'm still not sure what the right CW/phone
balance should be, but we could usually run faster on phone so that's
what we did for most of the time.

band	CW Qs	mults	Ph Qs	mults
80	112	35	76	40
40	218	33	255	52
20	266	67	806	98
15	130	44	626	68
10	98	20	574	44

3,164 QSOs x 501 mults = 9.3M points

Operators G0VJG, M3CVN, 2E0ATY, G7GLW, G4BUO

FT1000MP Mark V + Quadra amp
FT000MP + Acom 1000 amp
80m dipole up 39ft
40m dipole up 37ft in a tree
20m - TET HB33SP tribander up 41ft
15m - 2el homebrew quad, centre up 40ft
10m - 2el homebrew quad, centre up 40ft
Butternut for receive
WX0B 6-pak antenna switch, coax stubs and Dunestar filters

Dave G4BUO