[UK-CONTEST] 12v PSUs

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 12 13:18:25 EST 2005

Thanks Ray

I have been happy with this one, but it does appear to be "trigger happy",
and the probability is that the ICOM looks like a highly capacitative load,
even when powered OFF, thus looking like a short cct for an instant until
the capacitor charges. I have been very happy with the Nissei unit, and it's
really dinky and RF quiet up to 50Mhz. Looks like I may have to get another
"big bertha" however :-(

73

Clive
GW3NJW

Hi Clive,

The best advice I can give you is to dump the switched mode supply.  I hate
them.  Apart from the safety issue, I have never found them to be reliable.
In my view nothing to beat a good old transformer driven PSU!  If well
designed and built, they stand a lot of abuse and go on for ever.  The
nearest I have come to "fit and forget".

Ray, G3HRH