[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 160m Contest G3SJJ

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 13 08:16:51 EST 2005

Quantity not quality!  212 Qs, 19+50 bonus, 981 points. Good but not good
enough

Got a real buzz from this one, but thoughts are tempered by some stats
(later). Generally lots of activity and a nice opening to States with
W1,2,3,4 (some via ESP mode!) and VE3. No DX to the East for me though. Had
a fantastic first hour, 45 Qs after 20 minutes, 78 after 40 mins and
finishing just on 100 at the hour. Got aways included GW4BLE & Mori MR5V who
I heard s&ping and G3JRM. Fraser BJM appeared to have a rough/spreading
signal and kindly moved after settling near me at some stage. The
unterminated 280ft beverage wasn't very successful, needs more work on the
matching transformer, termination and end supports. I can add another 70ft
within my plot, so I will try this before extending over local fields! OY1CT
was the best on the bev at s9, just 20dB down on the main antenna. Need some
other rx antenna for UK sigs below my rotten n/l.

Writelog in NFD mode worked well as I didn't need to Space Bar to another
field, but ...... when working stations on the second vfo I found that
gibberish came from F4 (callsign) and F2 (exchange). Apologies to those on
the end of this, I have never experienced the problem before. Luckily the mH
Keyer worked fine.  (Mind you it could have all been the fault of that nice
white wine we had with our evening meal.)

Stats : UK - 37%, EU - 56%, NA - 7%. If it wasn't for the PACC contest, this
event would be a dead duck.

MP, Acom 1000, dipole at 55ft, ends at 30ft. WL 10.52F.

Chris G3SJJ