[UK-CONTEST] Computer PSU Problem - Off topic

Doug Roberts g0wmw at arrl.net
Mon Feb 21 11:44:29 EST 2005

There should be a separate mains switch on the back of the box, but the
LED probably indicates that (if fitted) it is 'on'.  Then there's the
button on the front - modern machines, even thought the lecky's on, tend
to be in 'standby' until you press the button (and may require you hold
the button on for a few seconds - but this is more likely when you come
to switch off).  Another thing to bear in mind is that some, if not all,
computer PSU's won't fire up if there is no load on the 5V rail.

HTH

73, Doug G0WMW

G3SJJ wrote:

>Any thoughts on this?
>
>Switch on Mains, nothing happens, no PSU fan. Plug fuse OK, 230v at other
>end of mains cable. No dc voltages from PSU. My thoughts are that the Power
>Supply is duff. I could get a replacement and install it but this is a
>neighbour's computer and I don't want to start taking it apart unless I am
>certain I can affect a proper repair.
>
>The only sign of life is a green LED on the mother board next to the DC
>input socket, which extinguishes when you remove mains plug.
>
>Chris G3SJJ
>--

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's INTOLERANCE!