[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC CW - G3SXW

Steve Jones steve at rjtraining.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 17:08:35 EST 2005

Nice to work you Roger, and I can concur with the conditions being
weird. SJJ was only 56 here, and only heard once towards the end of the
contest. I missed having a vertical up to switch to.

I worked 48 or 49, and not having done more than one of these contests
last year I was obviously not up to speed regarding the best tactics. I
ran for the first 35 mins and then had a very slow S and P session,
running agn for the last 15 mins or so.

I was running about 90w out into a low dipole which I had badly tuned in
the rain the day before, discovering last night that it was resonant
quite a bit below 3.5mhz! I was using my ic7400 with 400hz filtering,
rather than my usual ft1000, but think I will return to the ft1000 for
AFS.

I encountered similar "deafness" problems, with a couple of stations - I
called G3RIR on 4 separate times during the contest for several minutes,
yet he was 58 to 9 here - strange conditions I guess, or maybe some
stations have a very high local noise level.

I used N1MM software in FD mode rather than SD, mainly so I could use
the bandmap for S and P mapping - worked a treat. I even had a go at
setting up psk and rtty with n1mm after the test, so you may see me on
the data mode session if I get the hand of it ;-)

Nice to work some unfamiliar calls, and I will be attempting to work
more than one of these sessions in 2005!

73

Steve