[UK-CONTEST] G3RIR CC80

g3rir demon g3rir at ackerley24.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 02:45:09 EST 2005

Sorry Steve if I couldn't pick you out of the noise (what is your call
sign?).

I do have a high noise level here but have not noticed it to be a problem
before in CC80. I didn't operate in cc80 until March last year and it is
likely that the night time conditions had not set in fully and typically
signals were above my noise level.

Perhaps the noise problem I have here is more of a problem than I had
realised and made life near impossible with weak signals as typically was
the case Monday night.

My set up was 100w (early FT1000MP) to an inverted vee dipole with the top
about 45 ft with ends about 3 feet from the ground with one leg folded back
for about 15 feet. This was trimmed to resonance at 3535 using my MFJ Gizmo.
This antenna is the best I can get at my home QTH.

In order to help me understand what was going on would those stations who
had the impression that I was having considerable difficulty copying please
let me know their location, their power output and their antenna. I do know
that I was called quite a few times where I was not able to copy anything
and I have never noticed such a problem before.

73 de Neil, G3RIR