[UK-CONTEST] GM4AFF 80m CC

g3ory at lineone.net g3ory at lineone.net
Thu Jan 13 04:34:34 EST 2005

Stewart,

Sorry I did not hear you last night!  Especially during the first 2/3 of
the contest when I was working some desperately weak stations who were all
very patient as I tried to copy their calls and serials.

It is often said that the English Midlands is the place to be if you hope
to win a UK contest involving NVIS propagation and that may well be true.
 The other side of the coin is that the levels of IMD and reciprocal mixing
present are phenomenal.  I had the pre-amp out and 18db of attenuation and
still could easily hear the 'floor' of IMD etc.  These tactics helped enormously
and without them my score would have been dismal.

In the 'grass the other side is greener' mode, an RF quiet QTH seems an
unattainable dream to someone down here.

73

Bob