[UK-CONTEST] To import or not to import?

Ray Goff ray at g4fon.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 07:06:38 EST 2005

> Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom regarding any of the above? I so, I'd
> be grateful for the info.

Andy,

Apart from the question of warranty etc and I have no idea how that works, you
may find you are hit up for customs clearance charges by the shipper.

I imported something from the US for my XYL before Christmas and ended up paying
Parcel Fo(a)rce ?13.50 in clearance charges. Our company ship things to and fro
across the pond using DHL or UPS and periodically we get hit for customs
clearance charges, sometimes as much as ?100. You need to check this out with
the shipper and ask Tentec to use the shipper of your choice.

Whether you are hit for VAT/Duty seems a little hit and miss. My XYL is American
and we received a number of packages from the US before Christmas and the only
one to attract the attention of Customs was the commercial item I mentioned
above.

You could always take a holiday in the US and have the rig shipped to your hotel
and then bring it back. If you did decide to do that, you need to buy the rig
from a supplier in a different State and have it shipped to you to avoid paying
State sales tax which can be around 10%! Just a thought!

73

Ray, G4FON