[UK-CONTEST] To import or not to import?

G3SVL G3SVL at manyoaks.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 13:09:05 EST 2005

Andy

I've had things shipped from US and also bought and hand carried back a rig
from there.

The first thing to say is import it properly (i.e. legally) otherwise you
are just creating a problem if anything goes wrong or you want to sell it
on.  Secondly, you would be covered in the purchase under US laws and not
have UK/European buyer protection - I have little idea how much impact this
could have - but again if there is a problem it could complicate things.

Ray G4FON rightly warns about customs clearance costs - and as a further
warning if you don't get it cleared within something like 48 hours shiooers
and agents charge an exorbitant 'storage' charge per day.

I tend to agree with Ray's suggestion - if you want to buy it in US go
there (or get someone else who is already going there) and bring it back as
personal luggage and then walk up to the Red Zone customs man and negotiate!

Overall I think for the amount you are likely to save you might do better
to try to do a deal with the UK rep - after all if you are going to use him
for warranty then its reasonable to let him make a few bob on the sale -
and you are covered under UK law. CE marking legislation and can argue on a
national rate phone call if you do have a problem - and he's more likely to
support you.

Hope this helps
73  Chris G3SVL
p.s. good choice of rig - and Happy Birthday!
p.p.s. I have no connection with any radio retailer here or in USA !!