[UK-CONTEST] SSB AFS

Paul Higginson paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 06:12:08 EST 2005

In message <s1eb880a.020 at IA-GEN-A2.dundee.ac.uk>, Andy swiffin
<a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk> writes

Hi Andy and thanks for the qso, when we worked the band was just
improving for me so I guess things with you got busier from then on?

>>3 - Conditions favourable right across the UK.
>
>???????  You should have been in my shack for the first two hours!

It was the first hour here :-)

I was in mid qso at 13:45 with a G3 who was telling me that he'd been on
the Island some years before, at the start of the test we swapped
details and I started to call CQ on that freq. At 14:00.30 a station
started calling CQ test about 300-500hz HF of me. He was a bit further
south than me and possibly was able to work stuff through the mutual
qrm. It was impossible that he hadn't heard me and his CQ's were
starting the very second that I went to receive. It WAS deliberate and
it WAS a regular contest call, he just took over.

I _suppose_ I could have stuck it out for a while but that's not what I
would call acceptable behaviour so I went S&P for the first hour or so.

> each time I managed to shoehorn myself into a
>space someone else appeared either side.  However I don't see one can
>complain with someone 1.25khz away, the highest figure I've seen for
>QSOs is 370 so if the usable range is 150 khz each station gets 405 Hz,
>hence there's only grounds for complaint if someone else is less than
>400Hz from you!

It's a squeeze and I don't feel comfortable elbowing my way in. I guess
I'm not that thick skinned.

I did find a space in the end and managed to run for an hour. Those that
worked me in that time, apologies for the lack of slick operating but
that was due to both my lack of experience and my logging software ( a
beta version ) that was causing me some problems with O's and 0s.

Eventually a couple of DL's decided that I'd had enough fun and plopped
right on top of me, after a few minutes of them telling the "GW contest
station you will QSY"  I decided game over and QSY'd to the kitchen and
made a brew :-)

>95 Qs, 100w to a  120ft wire max 30ftagl.  Spent the first half CQing
>with no replies and the second half tuning up and down looking for
>somewhere to CQ :-)

201 QSO, 4cx800 trickling along at about 350W to a dipole at 10m

I did try a 2nd receive wire antenna but it was of no help whatsoever so
I need to re think that strategy.

Next year, and I _will_ be back :-) I might try being able to select a
vertical.

>Gave up early when I couldn't find anywhere.
>
>Cheers
>Andy
>gm8oeg

I set myself a goal of 200 qso's but was very surprised when I got
there.

Last 45 min's yielded just 5 qso's

Regards Paul
--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI        |   Those who pay for bandwidth understand
http://www.gw8izr.com           |   why we should only post plain text