[UK-CONTEST] Frequencies

Mike Farmer Mike at hortonbc.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 12:27:03 EST 2005

I think Chris has overlooked a small but (in my opinion) important point on
frequencies particularly with AFS in mind. If you assume that all the
stations are only 3KHz wide then there is space for less than 40 stations in
the AFS contest. It seems to me that most stations running higher powers
(notice I said higher not illegal) are rarely only 3 wide.   In fact reading
the uk-contesting inputs I am lead to believe that certain stations "turn up
the wick" to be "big and loud" Stations with that attitude are most unlikely
to worry that "big and loud" equates to "Wide and loud".  Like Chris I have
the Inrad roofing filter fitted to my MP and it makes a big difference but
there are still more that 40 stations wanting to run a freq so the only
alternative is to turn up the power and take over a frequency. Result the
complaints we see after every contest.

I have stopped taking part in AFS because I am not prepared to s&p for 4
hours as my 100w gets clobbered every time I call CQ

Mike
G3VAO