[UK-CONTEST] Frequencies

Chris Tran ZL1CT zl1ct at gm7v.com
Mon Jan 17 16:17:43 EST 2005

Hello all

Mike G3VAO writes :
> It seems to me that most stations running higher powers
> (notice I said higher not illegal) are rarely only 3 wide.   In fact
reading
> the uk-contesting inputs I am lead to believe that certain stations "turn
up
> the wick" to be "big and loud"

Sorry Mike, but where is the evidence to support either of these statements
?

It's interesting to read these post-contest spats - perhaps because everyone
refers to it as 'AFS SSB' instead of the 'AFS SSB Contest' the fact that it
is a *contest* is forgotten. I am not condoning deliberate QRM or frequency
stealing, but the reality is that newer contesters have to be exposed to
some of the experiences that they will encounter if they try entering any HF
contest. How they react to this will determine their longer-term
participation and results in contesting - some will be appalled and leave
contesting - others will ask themselves 'OK - how can I improve my attitude,
operating, station or antennas to give myself a better chance of success?'

Whether we like it or not, nowadays there is no such thing as a
'gentlemenly' contest - these two terms are mutually exclusive. The contest
rules do their best to control the overall behaviour of participants, but to
a large extent the rest is self-regulating. Even good old BERU was a bit
rough going last year, hi.

73
Chris
ZL1CT