[UK-CONTEST] AFS CW & SSB 2005 G3NKC - RESEND

Dave Sharred dave at g3nkc.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 08:12:27 EST 2005

Original message below.  G3RVM asked me to put Antenna descriptions etc to
put this in perspective.

Antenna - Dipole at 45' (tree supported); one end at 10'; the other at 20'
FT1000mp , TL922

Sorry I never posted this sooner; forgot to do here's a short account of
both:

CW AFS:

I have 272 QSO's , no Dupes. Personally very pleased; certainly the best in
the Lichfield team, and should be good overall. However, looks like activity
is dropping off slightly - you used to have to get 290 - 300 to have a top 5
score??
 No major Drama's; worked the JA6, who was a good signal, despite some
desensing of my MP (BJM was quite close). Worked 5B4AGC .

Jim Kellaway is right; you have to get away with a good start in this
contest; my profile by hour is typical of what happens in all my AFS events:

breakdown by hour:
 1st hour - 109 	2nd hour - 71	3rd hour - 50	4th hour - 43

The only exception I know was GD0EMG, whose QSO's were rising at the end; a
totally different profile. He was spotted also, which could have helped!

SSB AFS:
Made  304 QSO's total, 1 dupe.

Found a clear freq before the contest; testing station out before hand, and
had some one else start up very close. This caused problems, but  I tried to
work through it; but it affected my start rate.  Had real trouble from 4
stations in total, which is probably not bad overall.

Did S&P in last ten mins; only found 1 new station!!

Breakdown by Hour:
1st Hour - 124	2nd hour - 77	3rd hour - 62		4th hour - 41

Lesson learnt - I need an additional narrow SSB filter for 8.9MHz; and I
need the Inrad roofing filter.   Oh, and a wider TX signal might help. Can
Inrad help there ?  :-)

Dave
G3NKC