[UK-CONTEST] AFS SSB - G4MRS

Darren Hatcher g0wcw at btopenwolrd.com
Sat Jan 22 08:58:20 EST 2005

Just to put in a note from the far east coast (Ipswich).

Seems the recent 80m contests have caused quite a stir. I think the point of
this is to have a good time, which I did both in the mid-week CC SSB contest
and in the SSB AFS itself.

Running FT1000MP (the one Andy G4PIQ spoke of on a previous note on
filters), amp into Delta Loop at 70 feet. No equipment failures, but had
some problems driving TR. Need to re-read the TR manual I think.

227 raw QSOs - >  Rate was 109/70/20/21

I did run ok at the start but as the day turned to night couldn't run any
longer with the EU stations romping in. So no 'slot' to run in was the main
problem for me. A second rx antenna may help.

There is a real need for a low antenna at the end of the contest for G, as
it appears the delta loop is just too loud into EU. Have located a design
for a low 'cloud burner' so will experiment there over the next few months
in 80m CC.

MTN at 3601 and NLY at 3749 were the places to be, 3610 to 3670 appeared
full of DLs later on, some jamming (even following me plus/minus 5k saying
"59, 59, 59 ..." all the time). BUO was running well as was NKC. There was
plenty of traffic out there albeit a bit squashed up.

Thanks to all that worked me and well done to G4BWP. Catch you in the next
one.

Darren - G0WCW (G4MRS)