[UK-CONTEST] Win-Test

Simon Pearson m0clw at ftml.net
Sun Jan 23 09:53:34 EST 2005

Hi folks,

I came across Win-Test, a Windows contest logging program
written by Oliver F5MZN (who also wrote the open source DX
cluster software, 'DXNet'). From what I've seen thus far, it
looks very promising!

There is a trial version available from the website at
www.win-test.com. To register the program costs 30 EUR, which
currently works out at around 20 GBP. Not bad considering what
WriteLog costs!

The interface is very attractive and has some interesting
tools. Namely a [decent] bandmap, greyline map, N+1 partial
search and all the usual stuff found in competing contesting
software. And, the interface looks fantastic! Window moving,
resizing etc is actually easy and windows can actually
'float', which can be very useful at times.

Of course, Win-Test supports most (if not all) SO2R switching
devices (e.g. ZS4TX, W5ZD, WX0B, DX Doubler), CW interfaces
(COM + LPT), soundcard DVK etc. It directly supports USB
CAT/CW/DVK interfaces, too, such as the EZMaster from I4UFH
and the microHAM USB interfaces.

The supported contest list is growing - it supports all major
contests (inc IOTA and has direct support for the EU Sprint)
and a few smaller contests, too (inc LZ DX, SP DX, SAC, CQ-M
etc). Of course, we must not forget that the reason WriteLog
supports such a wide number of contests is thanks to the
third-party contest 'modules', written by various individuals
- this is due to WriteLog's widespread use amongst major
contesters.

Finally, Win-Test seems to handle multi-op environments well.
In fact, it explicitally mentions the words "mult" and
"passing" in the same sentence! So, a tool to win for the
multi-op teams? Oh and one very last point: Win-Test was used
by the TM0HQ team in IARU in 2004 on all stations.

If anyone has any experience of using Win-Test, I'd be
delighted to hear from you! I'm seriously considering
purchasing this software.

Simon Pearson * M0CLW
   UK Young Contesters
   WW Young Contesters