[UK-CONTEST] Win-Test

Andy Summers andy.summers at ttpcom.com
Mon Jan 24 08:19:47 EST 2005

Hi Simon and all,

Yet another logging app! Whilst it looks pretty good, I think software
authors are perpetually missing the target. Why is this wheel continually
being re-invented? What I would like to see is an open source logger that is
platform portable. That way you could add any missing features yourself (if
you can write software), and run it on Linux if you like. N1MM is more or
less run open source, but sadly isn't platform portable (Use of VB and MS
Access).

I think a Java based logger would fit the bill. I did a bit of hacking in
Java myself to see, but it's a lot more complex than you might think. It's
become an abandoned project for now because I can't devote the necessary
time to it (bear in mind N1MM runs to about 72,000 lines of code). I had
used the working title 'jlog', but subsequently discovered somone had bagged
that name already <www.jlog.org>! Whilst this is written in Java, it's not
fully open source and isn't really aimed at contesting.

In replying to your post and having a rant, I guess I'm just hoping that
someone might 'take up the baton'.

73,
Andy.

PS: Glad to see CVRS is resurgent on the contesting front. I was a CVRS
member 25 years ago, where I was first introduced to contesting.