[UK-CONTEST] GB5HQ 10m CW

johndunnington johndunnington at johndunnington.karoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 10 12:51:12 EDT 2005

We are always very interested and keen to work UK Stations however this
weekend was particularly difficult.
We are QRO and with a 4-over-4 Stack (1/2wave spaced) lower antenna up
almost 50ft in rural East Yorkshire we found it hard going. We could hear
signals calling but very often "Only Pings with 1-Character". There were
some good signals but hopeful's with basic wires or QRP would have found it
a hard weekend. Never-the-less
we appreciate the efforts made to work us after all we put in a hell of a
lot of work/effort to try and give you the opportunity. At the end of the
day we are all in the lap of the gods in so far as propogation. Multiple
flares including at least one "M-Class Level" did nothing to enhance our fun
weekend, It did however make us more determined than ever to try to pull in
those very very weak one's.

The crew on 10m CW are all very experienced Contesters,Dx'rs, and
Dxpeditioners and even our most experienced guys took their turn listeniing
to the racket/noise. We even managed to find a couple of choice stations in
HI0 and WP3 just before midnite local and several Spanish stations after
midnight. At no time was the station not operational even during the night
when we could copy TM0HQ and DA0HQ CQ'g but not having any joy which was at
least comforting.

As the GB5HQ Award Manager I look forward to receiving claims for Band/Slots
as detailed on the GB5HQ Website.
Check my Emails after the contest I found already 6-applications waiting in
the in-tray.

Can I say thanks on behalf of the entire GB5HQ Crew inc the backroom
boys/girls who stick with it each year a very big thank you for all the
patience i do expect we will have a few brickbats to catch but the fun side
outweighs those usually.

Any comments will be reviewed and answered after I get chance to catch my
breath.

We really tried

73

John G3LZQ on behalf of G3AB, G3VMW, G3SJJ, G4BYG, G4OBK, G4RCG.

We should have some 2005 Picture on the GB5HQ Website once the Webmaster
returns from his GB5HQ efforts.