[UK-CONTEST] ARRL DX CONTEST SSB

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Tue Mar 8 06:18:33 EST 2005

On 8 Mar 2005 at 9:44, Cooper, Stewart wrote:

> Question - With such support for the RSGB 80M events, which is all
> very well of course, why so little interest in the major international
> contests from UK Contesters?

The ARRL DX contests are in a different league, in that you work USA
stations only. Great if you live there and can work everybody else,
but this year I was not in the mood (in the CW leg, I don't SSB here)
to spend the best part of a weekend working only USA when there was
other dx about which I needed for band slots. So one each of W and VE
to fill the slots on 80 and 40 (and I couldn't here anything on 10m!)
was my lot in the CW leg. But I have done the CW leg in previous
years and enjoyed it.

The 80m CC contests of course are G working mainly G so are domestic
contests. The format is great, a short session once per month, and it
certainly seems to have worked - and it is good for getting the rest
of our club members actually on the air, a battle I seem to be slowly
winning in Bracknell.

At the moment I am largely in chasing band slot mode, so I shall be
using the Commonwealth contest this weekend to that purpose, as I
don't have a chance to do well on QRP in a contest which doesn't have
a QRP section...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com