[UK-CONTEST] Commonwealth contest - tales from a QRPer (G3YMC)

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Sun Mar 13 16:05:34 EST 2005

As I indicated earlier, I did not intend to do the Commonwealth
contest anything like seriously, only as an excellent chance to work
some of the rarer places. So only 26 QSOs, but did spend quite a lot
of time in the shack. On QRP I obviously wouldn't have been able to
make a significant score under the conditions.

Chasing those slots certainly worked - I worked 9 new 2005 countries
and one all time QRP one (9M6BG). Even 10m showed some life, but I
heard zilch in the way of VK there.

These little snippets caused me amusement:

9J2BO - after calling for some while to crack the pileup on 15m where
he obviously had problems from EU QRM and there was quite a long
pause between QSOs - 'G3YMC sri for the delay, was getting a new log
sheet'. I failed to break the pileup on 10m on Saturday but got Brian
there first call on Sunday.

ZL4BR - 'G3Y? agn..' - 'G3YEC QSO b4'. He continued to ignore me then
when I continued calling gave in: 'G3YEC 599338' - I think he then
got it correct but refused to say anything other than 'QSL'..

VK4WIA - not sure who was operating there, but I was a bit surprised
when he said 'G3YMC fb Dave'..

All this was with my K2 at 5W into a longwire.

Anyway, all good fun.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com