[UK-CONTEST] G4PIQ/P BERU Story

Andy Cook, G4PIQ g4piq at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 14 08:48:28 EST 2005

Quite a lot of dupes in my log, so here's the clean total..

Band  QSO   Bonus
80    49    28
40    107   68
20    118   68
15    83    56
10    17    17
--------------
Total 374   237

Total Score = 1870 + 4740 = 6610 points

2 x FT1000MP + Ten Tec Titan + Alpha 87A

Ants : 80    Delta Loop @ 22m
       40    402CD @ 23m
       HF    KT34A @ 28m + TH5 @ 23m + A3 @ 25m
       Rx    140m Beverage NW + 100m random bit of wire NE unterminated
+ 160m Inv-L

Good things

*	Condx better than during the ARRL SSB weekend
*	Being called by 9J2BO & ZS6UT on 80m bang on cue at their
sunrise
*	Working 4 x ZL at our sunrise + 2 x VK6 at their sunset on 80m
*	Working out that the 160m Inv-L was the only antenna that I
could copy VK6VZ on 80 on
*	40m totals
*	With the 80m noise problems making about as many QSOs / bonuses
on 80 as Dave / Don
*	10m better than it could have been
*	Nothing blew up

Bad Things

*	20 mins late starting - didn't hear alarm & got to shack to find
beverage coax all tangled up. Ended up putting Beverages up quickly
rather than in best place (which is still not great!) - they were as
much use as a chocolate teapot.
*	Struggling to hear anything much through my 80m noise floor -
thanks to all callers for your patience
*	Listening on 80m to Dave work someone at east-coast VK sunrise
who I couldn't hear + listening to Don work VE5s on 80m I couldn't hear.
Sorry... there's an 80m whinge thread developing here...
*	Some run-ins with the 80m DX window police as the BERU operating
bubble crept down the band. One did shut up sending QSY DX only though
when I immediately replied to ZL6QH instead of him!
*	Missed some silly stuff again - no 9J2BO on 15, only 1 x 5B4 on
80m, no VE9 on some bands etc.
*	Some bad inter radio QRM when all crowded down the bottom of the
band

73

Andy