[UK-CONTEST] 'mycall' sending in contests

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Fri Mar 18 06:10:03 EST 2005

On 18 Mar 2005 at 9:44, G3SVL wrote:

> >G3SJJ wrote:
> >  > . .   several stations insisted on sending my call sign before
> >  > giving
> > their report,
>
> >GW4ALG wrote:
> > > ..... Is it an option in a particular brand of contest logging
> > > software?
>
> I noticed this as well and perhaps there's a simple explanation. 80mCC
> is bringing lots of new calls into contesting, and I sense some are
> not frequent CW ops. So how does a newbie CW contester start a QSO?
> Probably the way he was taught/read in a book - and that says you send
> the other station's call then yours at each over.  If they keep going
> on contesting (and DX chasing for that matter) they'll get the hang of
> it and the 'problem' will go away as they gain confidence. Frustrating
> as it might be, everyone they call suffers the same longer QSO.
>
> Don ('XTT) is this addressed in your new operating guide?
>
> 73  Chris G3SVL

There has long been a requirement in RSGB VHF contests for both
callsigns to be exchanged as part of the exchange. The HF rules (not
checked the very latest version) are more ambiguous and in general it
does not seem to be a requirement. If you have called the station
just by sending your own callsign (which should be the norm), to
stick with the VHF rule you would then have to then send the other
station's call as part of your exchange. I am not sure whether even
in VHF contests this rule is really adhered to these days (perhaps
the VHF chaps can comment), and certainly in HF contest practice it
has in general been dropped, but I suspect this is the reason for it
occuring at times.

Another fun event on Wednesday, 67 QSOs on 5W with my K2. I thought I
should have been able to do better, but checking back shows this is
my highest score yet in these events.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com