[UK-CONTEST] 'mycall' sending in contests

Paul Higginson paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 07:18:26 EST 2005

In message <423AB70B.9761.10025D5 at localhost>, Dave Sergeant
<dave at davesergeant.com> writes
>On 18 Mar 2005 at 9:44, G3SVL wrote:

>stick with the VHF rule you would then have to then send the other
>station's call as part of your exchange. I am not sure whether even
>in VHF contests this rule is really adhered to these days (perhaps
>the VHF chaps can comment), and certainly in HF contest practice it
>has in general been dropped, but I suspect this is the reason for it
>occuring at times.

For any qso in my little bit of the S/U/VHF world to be valid I need to
hear both calls and my report sent by the calling party, I also need
confirmation that he's got all my info.

I've lost points in a SHF contest that cost me a 1st place listing
simply because of not being 100% sure of the exchange, so now my rule is
simple if you want the qso - you take the time to be sure.

CQ (DX or TEST) DE GW8IZR
G9ABC
G9ABC DE GW8IZR 599 005 IO73TI Bk
GW8IZR DE G9ABC RRR 599 034 IO83MM OK?
RRR 73

Otherwise I ask for repeats until I'm sure, or call it N/C

Being very new to HF CW tests, this is what I do ->>>>

Fitting in with what seems to be the normal S&P behaviour on HF

TEST DE G9ABC
GW8IZR
GW8IZR 5nn
TU 5nn
TEST DE G9ABC

As you can see, this clearly would not be a valid QSO using VHF rules...
but if that's the way _you_ do things then so be it.

I would only send the other persons call *if* I wasn't sure that I had
read the call properly and then I'd expect them to understand that I'm
looking for help confirming that info?

If the other party seems to have my call incorrect I would send my call
twice before the report, I would expect them to understand that hearing
my call the first time alerts them to the fact that the have my call
wrong and the second time allows them to read it properly (in case their
CW is as ropey as mine) Having done that I'd expect them to send my
corrected call back to me confirming that we are all in sync at last.

My only complaint with this process is the sending of  partial
correction, for example he sends me GW8EZR -- I correct him and he
replies QSL IZR Which is fine for him, but for whatever reason screws my
internal CPU and leaves me guessing that he did get it :-)

Enough from me.

Regards Paul

--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI        |   Those who pay for bandwidth understand
http://www.gw8izr.com           |   why we should only post plain text