[UK-CONTEST] 80M CC

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 18 06:56:44 EST 2005

Several others came up with this thought Pete. Seems weird.

Ref your other comment, I am very much aware and appreciative of new
operators joining in, however all my contesting has been based on my
original observation many years ago that the whole idea was about
transferring relevant information. As I have pointed out before on this
forum, competitiveness is about continually improving your performance and
applies to all forms of competition (except football where the incentive
appears to be being given ludicrous amounts of money for nothing and being
encouraged to swear a lot!)

I continually review how I can improve and cutting out irrelevant
information means I can spend more time making more contacts, which is
actually the main reason for a contest. "Seveerrn tee threes and good luck
in the contest old man" has never been in my book of good operating
practice. I was once recall listening to G4AFJ running States on SSB Field
Day using "QSL QRZ." Whilst I didn't/don't like the use of Q codes on SSB, I
certainly appreciated his desire to be efficient and he definitely earned my
respect.

It's about thinking on your feet and adapting your style to suit the
prevailing workload.

I have also mentioned before that I think one of the reasons for the skewed
rates in the shorter domestic contests is the effect of more efficient
operating. Over the years most of us have cut out the superfluous parts, eg
"cq cq afs de gxxxxx gxxxx gxxxc afs k"  in favour of "test g3sjj" etc. This
means you can fit in more Qs in a given time. On Wednesday I managed 45 Qs
in the first 20 minutes, purely by cutting out the crap. After another 20
minutes I had cleared enough out of the way to start S&P on the 2nd vfo
whilst maintaining the original Run freq.  Pete, this is nothing to do with
high-flying operators but all to do with finding a way carry out a given
task with maximum efficiency. Which is what contesting is all about.

Chris G3SJJ