[UK-CONTEST] SSB Contests...are for skilled ops!

Nigel G3TXF nigel at G3TXF.com
Fri Mar 18 18:13:51 EST 2005

"Because SSB contests give me a sore throat and a headache in under an hour.".....Bob 5B4AGN.

Same here, Bob!

I have great admiration for any top-notch SSB operator who can sit there for hours on end, running rate in what, to me, is just an incomprehensible headache-making mass of noise : G4JVG and GW4BLE are two 'locals' in this class that spring to mind.

Whereas on CW, for me, at least, it's all different. What QRM? There are just signals that you can either read or that you can't. There's no head-splitting QRM as such.

Believe or not, it's true!

The nearest G3TXF ever gets to doing an SSB contest would be a Single Op - Single Band on a nice 'clean' band such as 15m. No way could I handle doing a serious SOAB on SSB - never!

Whereas, SOAB on CW, whilst not necessarily being a bag of fun towards the end of a 48 hour CQWW CW Contest, can be just about be done.

There's no "mode snobbery" here - I just can't handle SSB in large quantities, and only have the greatest of admiration for those that can!

73 - Nigel G3TXF