[UK-CONTEST] G4TSH/P 2nd 160

Justin Snow justin at g4tsh.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 17:03:19 EST 2005

Enjoyed the contest on Saturday evening.  conditions seemed a bit messed up
with a lot of QSB and difficulty hearing the nearby stations for the first
couple of hours.  Only one W in the form of K2VUI in the log, really
thought I was going to miss the W bonus for quite a long time.  Some good
numbers being thrown about
Could have done with a dipole as well as the 40ft inverted L but not sure
how to get it up in Nigel, G0VDZ's suburban garden at the same time as the L.
The antenna was built and tested the week before, then lowered to the
ground and left ready for a quick lift up before the contest.  This was
done in the dark and it was not till we had got it up in the air and I was
holding the base of the pole that we noticed that some of the guys had
mysteriously shortened themselves!  We lowered the pole back down and
discovered that a couple of the guys had been chewed through, probably by
squirrels and required a quick splicing together before trying again.  WX
conditions for this contest always seem to be cold still frosty nights,
which is all very well till you have to operate out of the garden shed.  I
managed to keep warm enough but could do with an amplifier that gives off
more heat :-)

Final Score is 940 (585 QSO points plus 355 bonus points) from 196 QSO's
with one dupe.  Seems there are a lot of stations operational from the RG
postal district! List of districts worked below, plus TW of which I think I
was the only one.

rg	6
dn	4
rh	4