[UK-CONTEST] CQWW Observations

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 28 16:03:10 EST 2005

Positive report to follow but a few negative aspects first for discussion:

- Mittel European stations lacking in smoothing capacitors for their big
amps. Many rough and AC modulated notes.

- The Italian job. Checked dubious looking spots, eg KH6 on 80m, only to
find a particular multi-op Italian group CQing. We didn't note the spotter
but concluded that either it was a dummy spot to raise interest on their Run
freq or they QSYd to these spots and started CQing.

- Splitters. 6W1W, PZ5C, ZD8A and 5J1W all using split. Naff.

- GI3OQR was bbbiiiggg and wwwiiidddeee on 160m. Most definitely the
strongest signal I have ever, ever heard on any band.

On the good side, less stations who didn't give their call after each QSO
and less speeded up bits. Brrrp A4 etc. Again, naff.

Ok, got that off my chest!  Everything else was great.  CQWW is!! Guess the
only other disappointing bit was that I felt so clapped out this evening
that I missed my French class.

Vive le CQWW. Chris G3SJJ, at G8D.