[UK-CONTEST] Fw: G4IIY CQWW CW

Ian Fugler G4IIY zen90387 at zen.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 16:57:29 EST 2005

The builders finished my new shack a few days before the contest and then helped Ivan G3IZD and me put the new mast on the groundpost.  Our plans to put up a 3el beam were thwarted by time.  So, we had just a rotary dipole at about 45 feet, Butternuts and an inverted L for 160m (with a 12 inch earth stake).

We did the first 24 hours (at least) of the contest as multi-single, but then switched to multi-two for no other reason other than Ivan was running numerous Ws, JAs, UA0s, etc. on 40m on Sunday morning and I wanted to run on 20m!  This was very much a try-it-and-see approach.  The two PCs had never been networked in a contest and are some distance from the router in the house.  Given the traffic on the Writelog reflector about network problems, I feared problems.  But we suffered none.  We rebooted one of the PCs twice during the 48 hours when its CW sending became a bit sloppy and we lost the cluster connection about three times.  Having proved the 'indoor bits' all work (no comments on the operators, please), the next step will be to improve the aerial situation.

The score for multi-single is rather modest, but for mult-two it's almost embarrassing.  Next year we will return with beams, a better 160m aerial and more operators (I'm open to offers).

                 QSOs            QSO points         Zones            Countries

160m:         270                355                    9                    54

80m:           728                1157                  15                  81

40m:           789                1223                  27                  101

20m:           802                1627                  33                  110

15m:           167                346                    23                  75

10m:            8                   10                      3                    5

Totals:        2764              4718                  110                426

Score:  2,528,848

Ian G4IIY