[UK-CONTEST] CQWW Observations

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 29 06:06:41 EST 2005

I guess probably the worst example is CQWW 160 where the exchange is 59(9)
plus country, so you only need to get the callsign, and Super Check Partial
will help in many cases. There is no recognised list so you send what you
want!

What is increasingly drawing me to CQWW SSB/CW is it can be all things to
all people. For example, over the last few years Ian G4IIY and I have gone
head to head on SOAB. The Old Fart with slightly better aerials v The Young
Pretender who can hack less sleep. We ain't going to win any prizes but it
was interesting to see how we compared, during the contest by exchanging
scores at certain times, then at the end for the overall score. It was
actually fairly even. This year we both did multi-op and again it was close.
I have to say I now prefer Multi-Op.

You get all the guys going out to Carib, Africa etc. Also, a big spin-off is
the amount of preparation and research people do, and then later share with
other in articles in National Contest Journal for example. Here I have spent
some time working on the antenna system and it was great to see the mults be
worked many times on first call. There is so much to do during the contest -
Running to keep the Rate Meter up, S&P to find the Mults, keeping an eye on
propagation to get the optimum direction and band etc. We used N1MM for the
first time for all of us. It was great fun learning some new software
together.

Andy, as they say down London way, "Fink Positive."     Chris G3SJJ