[UK-CONTEST] Important CQWW Question and Funny Anecdote

Lee Volante lee at g0mtn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 15:42:10 EST 2005

From: "Gerard Lynch"
To: <uk-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:27 AM
Subject: [UK-CONTEST] Important CQWW Question and Funny Anecdote

> Now, the really important piece of post-contest analysis...
>
> Does Lee get as many people thinking he's me as I get thinking I'm G0MTN?

Hi Gerry,

The answer is - yes !  There were also a couple of times when I noticed I
was calling someone right after you had called someone.  There was a moment
of trepidation when I thought that they would either return 'R R QSL', or
amend your previous QSO to be my callsign, rather than work me as a new
station.  And when you called me, I had to think for a moment was that
another station replying with my call first, but getting it wrong!

I spent most of the weekend with Cris GM4FAM's score from last year in front
of me, thinking "I'm not getting enough mults" and later on as I got more
worried, checked if I'd ever beaten G3LET in anything :-)  As it turned out
I was seriously low on mults - I only just made it over the 1million point
mark (also SOABLP) - so well done from me.  In total 114 C, 28Z, but a lot
more needed on multiple bands.  Not very much at all from AS / OC.

45 hours in the chair which I was pleased with.  I was only really tired
after waking on Sunday, and I did once drop off for a moment with my hand on
the space bar CQ'ing away. I did start to see things moving in my peripheral
vision by the end of Sunday.  One time I swore a spider was running up the
Europe map behind my monitor.  On closer inspection the "spider" turned out
to be Malta.  But surprisingly I didn't feel too bad on Monday morning -
although I had booked the day off work.  SSB is much more draining
physically.  Mentally though, I couldn't receive CW at all on Sunday night.
Following the 5B9 debate, I'm sure a CTxxxx station was sending 599 34 all
weekend.

Saturday was fun, always new stuff to work, and S+P was of course much more
productive and helped maintain rates and mults when running became too hard.
Sunday was simply 'tough'

Congrats to everyone else for good scores.

73,

Lee G0MC, as is this year's favourite busted call variation.