[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 7MHz DX Contest

Lee Volante lee at g0mtn.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 17:11:12 EDT 2005

Hi Richard,

There are a number of contests that have single band categories, and some
have additionally low power (100w) sub-categories.  Try any of the regular
contest calendars.

The RSGB 7 MHz contest was retired after years of reducing activity,
culminating in the average rate for the winning Overseas entrants reaching
about 5 QSOs/hr (or similar).  The UBA DX contest held on the same weekend
also caused some problems for the RSGB event.  However the UBA does have a
single band section, has a good level of acitivty, and living in an EU
member country you're a sought after QSO - perhaps try that one.

The restricted section idea specifying antenna height / type as well as
power is I think unique to RSGB contests. For some people this is perfect,
there will always be those with antennas still much lower than the max
height, or perhaps too high, or perhaps (for the HF contests) have a yagi
but no linear (as Mike 'VAO reminds us) so it's still not ideal for some
people.  So a regular single band / low power contest section might be as
good for you.

Also, for info, because of the same uniqueness of the idea, a very large
number of entrants from Overseas (and some in the UK) forget to specify
which section they're in, and even if they do declare their equipment on
their summary sheets, they don't list the antenna heights so the
adjudicators have to chase this up with the entrants to allocate people in
the correct section.

73,

Lee G0MTN