[UK-CONTEST] 80M CC ..power

Ian G3WVG g3wvg at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 14 14:39:03 EDT 2006

Hiya Guys

Perhaps like Andy,I'm being naïve too, but there were only a couple of
stations that I thought were much louder than they should be.  But I suppose
that could easily be down to location and antenna. As one correspondent
noted, maybe they won't send in an entry!

However, SJJ makes an interesting point about FT1000Ds and 200W mark Vs. I
wonder what procedure the operators of these rigs use to ensure the SSB
output doesn't exceed 100W.  Presumably they use some form of attenuator
between the rig and the antenna, or is there a menu setting?

No amplifier used here, just a dipole up at around 20 Metres and the speech
processing turned up full!  The rig was an FT1000MP .. (100W version). ...
Ended up with 174 QSOs.

I'm sure someone will say that it's the norm. for early April, but I thought
propagation was quite odd this time.  Very little NVIS so that stations
closer than 80 miles seemed quite weak.  Also UK stations further out than
say 250 were also relatively weak.  But at long distances signals seemed to
pick up again.  There was for example  a lot of loud Russian "QRM".  Perhaps
it was simply that propagation to the north was poor.(again)

73 Ian G3WVG .. WOKING. Surrey