[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 21/28 MHz Contest

DAVID LURCOOK david.lurcook at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 17 13:29:22 EDT 2006

Interested in Darren's comments regarding best antennas for 21/28 Restricted section.........

  I have used rotary dipoles for 10M & 15M @ 15M (fed with H100) for the last three RSGB 21/28 CW contests to good effect. Last year I came second A LONG WAY BEHIND Peter, G3LET. Now I am sure Peter is a much better operator than me (!) but I would have thought the results would have been closer. I think Peter was using a SteppIR vertical. Based upon this, maybe I will be trying elevated ground planes (rather than rotary dipoles) this year!

  I have no strong opinions regarding the change of format except it would be good to avoid the WAG contest as this no doubt detracts from the RSGB contest. It is obviously more satisfying for non-UK stations to work strings of German stations in WAG than a handful of UK stations in the RSGB 21/28 CW contest!

  73's David G4ERW

Darren GØTSM <uk-contest at g0tsm.com> wrote:
  I'd already typed this up when I saw Dave's message..

With the restricted section most of the op's are on a level playing
field, G5RV, Windom, Dipoles, Verticals, there isn't going to be a
lot in it. Probably the best signal you could put out would be with
rotary 10M & 15M horizontal dipoles @ 15M (according to Eznec). Joe
Bloggs sitting in his car on the beach with loaded 1/4 wave whips
would stand a good chance of winning.
The restricted section appears to be for operating skill/tactics as
opposed to who has the biggest station.

I guess it won't be long before the results are out for last year's
21/28ssb....

Darren