[UK-CONTEST] Contest QSLing policies

Andy Swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Aug 7 04:06:14 EDT 2006

"Nigel G3TXF" <nigel at G3TXF.com> wrote:
> Hello Andy,
>
> If you receive a request for a QSL for either a contest or
non-contest QSO,
> please send a reply. It's as simple as that!

> As you say, replying to QSLs should be not great chore if you use
computer
> logging and labels etc.

Many thanks for the various contributions,

I've decided on a policy that will probably be looked upon as cruel and
unfair but I have my reasons:

I seem to get a lot of qsls
I don't blanket qsl and I don't use a computer log apart from for
contests
I don't intend to start using a computer to generate qsl labels due to
not blanket qsling
It therefore takes me quite some effort to produce a QSL - all of which
are hand written, in addition I have to first lookup and verify the qso
in the log.

Many of the qsls I'm receiving have taken absolutely no effort to
produce, they're simply printed labels.
Many of these don't even have a signature or if they do its very 'mass
produced' (a squiggle...)

So my swingeing policy is:
I will always reply to hand written cards.
I will reply to printed cards _if_ they're properly signed _and_ have a
clear mark (ring or underlining in pen)  around the PSE QSL.

I won't reply to cards that have just the printed labels - it took them
absolutely no effort to send it to me - why should I spend quite a bit
of effort?  Many of these have a big PSE QSL - courtesy of their printer
- sorry, no qsl.

I now understand why quite a few people you see on qrz.com have a
direct only policy!!  As soon as I can workout what my password was I'll
go and update my page too!

73
Andy
the BQFH  (Like BOFH but qsler rather than operator)