[UK-CONTEST] Ropoco

Ed - G3SQX g3sqx at edtaylor.org
Tue Aug 8 11:39:51 EDT 2006

Nobody has commented on the reflector about Ropoco last weekend, so here's
my tuppence-worth.  I was on from the new QTH, near Newport in South Wales,
making 60 QSOs.

GOOD POINTS:

== Only 2 hours long,
== Worked some people who have never done the Morse test
          (a GM8, for example)
== Still a test of accuracy rather than speed
== One or two straight keys (early G3 folks, if I remember rightly) --
           presumably trying the contest out.
== Err, that's it

BAD POINTS:

== Nowhere near enough people on
== Mostly usual suspects, but in short supply
== Poor turn-out from HFCC
== Seem to have worked everybody about half an hour before the end.

Surely this is another RSGB contest in its death throes.  Can it be revived?
Maybe -- and if you've got the stamina, you could read the posting below
from me in 2002.  Most points still true, but it's surely now touch and go
whether the contest should just be quietly put to sleep.  What is the
justification for putting the effort into two events which attract under 100
participants, rather than using the energy more usefully elsewhere?

73,

Ed, G(w)3SQX