[UK-CONTEST] DLL and fings

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 19 05:12:24 EST 2006

A big Thank You to everyone who came up with suggestions and advice. I
have now sorted my computer out satisfactorily. Several of you came up
with detailed thoughts and I was also able to work with Dave G3RXP and
finally G4FON.

Ray identified that I had corrupted the BIOS, so I re-set it on the
motherboard and then using a Start Up disk created from my wife's
computer I was able to get into Safe Mode and then DOS prompt. I had
long forgotten DOS commands so Ray guided me to find what I suspected
was the incorrectly renamed file, which was in System32 and therefore
causing the cyclical reboot. Putting that back to .DLL brought the
machine back to life and it is now working well.  Pheww!!!

I've even got rid of the silly error message that started all this off!

Thanks again.   73 Chris G3SJJ