[UK-CONTEST] CQWW 160M

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Fri Feb 3 10:39:20 EST 2006

On 3 Feb 2006 at 14:00, woodg at lindsey.tlfe.org wrote:

> Hi all Read, with interest numbers of CQWW 160M stations worked, very
> impressive.  It prompted me to look back in my log, I achieved top G
> in 1970 with 7744 pts from 136 qsos and 18 mults, the only stations
> worked outside Europe were, K1PBW, W1HGT & W2EQS. The setup was
> G2DAF tx (10 W), AR88D rx with all electronic c/o & listen to own
> sig on tx, the ant was a 13 ft loaded whip (base at 48 ft) fed
> through 132 ft endfed wire, very much bent, as only a small plot,
> guess all the big guns of the day didn't enter that year. No
> computer, no cq machine, just el bug & paper log, how things have
> changed. Thanks for the amusement etc. reading all the comments while
> having my first cuppa of the day.
>
> Graham G3VIP
> --

Well I was going to keep a low profile with these enormous Top Band
scores being banded about, congratulations to those involved. My
attempt with QRP last weekend is not that much different from
Graham's in 1970! What is significant is how many more countries are
on the band now than then, it would be undreamed of to make DXCC in a
whole year never mind a single weekend!

My own efforts on the band are hampered with a lousy QTH, no room for
other than a 30ft vertical (modified HF2V) and sand ground below it.
This simply does not get out on Top Band whatever power I run, so the
result on QRP in these circumstances amazed me. It was a half hearted
effort in reality, I had two good night's sleep and apart from a
couple of hours each dawn most of the operating was Sunday evening.

G3YMC SO QRP
QSOs 158  (2004 143)
DXCC countries 41 (2004 33) + Shetland Is
+Prince Edward Island, Ontario and Delaware
Claimed score 32,680 (2004 22,572)

Last year's scores quoted for interest, greatly exceeded them!

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com