[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC - 100% QSO Increse!

Jim Martin - MM0BQI MM0BQI at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 04:38:05 EST 2006

What a headline!
Starting from last years achievement of 8 Qs for the February event Mondays QSO total was 17.  The band was very quiet (S5-6) and there seemed to be stations on every frequency but very few of them came up out of the soup.  Worked just about everyone I could hear with 2E0ATY loud for the whole contest and GM3ZBE bending the needled for the first hour. I wonder what mix of location/geography/antenna/propagation creates such stark contrasts?
Managed to find a clear (?) run frequency and made 5 Qs within 20 minutes then nothing for the next 20.  No stations worked between 2045 and 2112. Kept switching to the second VFO to call stations as they came out the noise but was always beaten by a stronger signal and then they would drop back into the noise.  After the end of the run I put all the effort into S+P to catch stations as they came up in strength.
Only mishap was the PC fan suddenly started screaming 10 minutes before the contest, no time to change it so copious quantities of WD40 brought the noise down to acceptable levels and it has been quiet ever since.
Thanks to those who managed to pull me out the noise.
Station.  MP, 50w, loaded dipole 6m high running N-S, N1MM Logger, software DVK and microKEYER for audio switching.
73
Jim,  MM0BQI