[UK-CONTEST] 160m Contest Activity

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 12 15:57:18 EST 2006

I would like to develop the discussion on 160m bandplans and activity.
My good friend Ian G4IIY says he wouldn't want to see the sub-band for
this contest changed. I would submit that it has changed and that our
rules are out-dated.

Whilst operating out of the sub-band, I made 47 QSOs, 17 of which were
with UK stations, nearly 40% of last years submitted entries and that
was only in the first 50 minutes when many UK stations were CQing. Two
were former members of the HF Contests Committee and long term entrants,
several others were also long term entrants, and some were members of
FOC. (First Class CW Operators Club.) I also made 11 QSOs with PA
stations, who I am informed are not permited to use 1810 to 1815. The
rest were UA, DL, HB9, OK, F, LA and YL all most definitely in contest
mode. I therefore conclude that other than violating the RSGB 1.8MHz
Contest rules, for which I have imposed my own penalty, I was not doing
anything different to something which was already happening.

A big chunk of what used to be the CW portion of the band is now taken
up with SSB QSOs, (some even inter-G which ought to be held elsewhere in
the band!) Antenna-challenged entrants have enough difficulty finding a
Run frequency so why impose even more barriers on them. I feel a
sensible conclusion for the two events, ie 8 hours per year, would be to
delete the lower sub-band edge in order to encourage more participation.

Chris G3SJJ