[UK-CONTEST] RadCom IOTA QRP

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 21 06:53:43 EST 2006

Interesting. Reports on 2003 and 2004 IOTA Contest both had 7 pages
allocated, yet 2005 only had 5 pages even though there was around a 10%
increase in entrants over 2003. The tabulation was definitely squeezed.
This is going to get more and more difficult. I have always felt (and
fought for) contest results including report and tabulation should be
published in Radcom in full since this is the official journal of the
Society and therefore contains historical information for future
reference and research. Perhaps IOTA needs to be a treated as a
different case since as Bob says 5 pages is probably all we can expect.
I think what makes it worse for us to accept is the continued waste of
space on non ham-radio content.

A couple of other points - left justification has been used for several
years, and likewise RSGB logo hasn't appeared for a long time either, so
we can't blame the new editor for those! As yet I haven't put any
comments to Don XTT, but just to remind everybody :

" Alex Kearns, the new RadCom editor, has offered me a meeting at
Potters Bar, wearing my new "Board Member for Sport Radio" hat, to talk
about contest and DX coverage in the magazine. I don't expect miracles,
for the reasons Lee laid out in his post. And, in any case, detailed
results, photos, soapbox, etc. can be posted on websites much more
quickly than they appear in a magazine (and in much cleverer ways
allowing, for example, searching results by category, country, etc.).
But I would be interested in any input from members of this reflector.
Can I suggest you write directly to me, please, and I will synthesise
the views as best I can (though I am sure they will not all be on the
same "frequency"!) - g3xtt at lineone.net

Chris G3SJJ