[UK-CONTEST] less than efficient exchanges

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 24 05:52:00 EST 2006

I think we all try and encourage lesser experienced people. One of the
nice things about the N1MM logger and Winkey combo is that the Keyer and
F Key messages track each other in terms of speed. Several times when I
had CQed fast and several stations replied, I deliberately went back to
a slower sender and hit Page Down a couple of times to reduce the speed,
I could then send either a "canned" message or use my external keyer,
knowing that both would be sent at the same speed.

Until my recent changeover from Wronglog to N1MM, I have always used the
"Industry Standard"  for Run ie, type in callsign, hit Enter to pick up
F5 (His Call) plus F2 (RST/Nr), type incoming exchange and hit Plus to
log and send F3 (Tu G3SJJ). For S&P, I have mostly used my external
keyer to send my call then the exchange. Seems to me that one of the
problems facing an inexperienced operator is this difference between Run
and S&P, with an array of messages to use.

I would say,  KISS, Keyer Is Simple Sending.

Currently I am trying to get more proficient on ESM (Enter Sends
Message) which works superbly for Run and S&P, - Enter to CQ, type call,
Enter to send Exchange, type exchange, Enter to log and send Tu msg.
Problem with that is it really isn't designed for use with an outboard
keyer so you can get out of sequence with the messages, as I
demonstrated graphically with my QSO with G3LET!!

e n has been around a long time Andy, same as h e e. It just seems to
sound better! Everyone has his own gout, as they say in France!

I am still puzzled though by the M S. I asked for a repeat so many times
that the guy eventually gave up in disgust. If I could have identified a
number, maybe I could have got the rest. Just a thought, was it M5?  M S
I.  Dunno.

Chris G3SJJ