[UK-CONTEST] F Key Messages

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 24 13:06:45 EST 2006

Paul, I think I can see where the problem is.

Like Dave says, the "Industry Standard" is Insert for Run which normally
picks up the content of F5 (His Call) and content of F2 (Exchange). F3
is TU + Own Call same as you have, which is also picked up by the big
Plus key which logs the conatact also, F4 is always Own Call and F5 is
Other Call.

For S&P, I would hit F2 to send the Exchange unless the other station
had my callsign wrong, in which case I would do F4 then F2. Simple
enough. I guess anyone used to CT/Wintest/Writelog/N1MM would then be
guilty of what I complained about when using SD!

I guess it is a matter of the user just modifying the content of the F
Keys to suit what they are comfortable with. I put Exchange plus TU in
F8 because sometimes it is just nice to send a TU if you think you are
not taking up too much of the other guy's time. In reality I probably
send taht kind of stuff on the external keyer as well.

Presumably on SSB your F2 doesn't take any notice of the Other Call part
of that message?

Chris G3SJJ