[UK-CONTEST] 80m CC CW G3SJJ

Ray Goff ray at g4fon.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 15:05:58 EST 2006

Chris,

I think that you have missed the point here and embellished it with rather
too much red wine.

People come on in the 80m CC contests to give their club some points, not to
keep your run rate in triple figures. It is clear that since most of the
callsigns in this contest do not come up in the Super Partial window, they
are new to contesting.

We all have to learn and in the sort of band conditions we had last night, I
can understand inexperienced operators wanting to make sure that they are
working the correct station. In the same vein, remember also, that not
everyone in the contest is happy handling QSO's with speeds in the high 20's
and 30's.

What you are seeing here is an HFCC success story unfolding with more and
more stations becoming active in all three modes. If the stations you are
lambasting actually become interested in contesting as a result of their
experience with the 80m CC test, then they will learn soon enough how to
conduct a contest QSO.

In the meantime, we need to encourage new contesting blood if we are going
to increase the interest in contesting above the less than 2% previously
discussed on this reflector. Your comments are not helpful in that regard,
although fortunately most of the stations in question will not have
discovered this reflector.

Just my tuppence worth. Just 70 Q's here under very heavy QRM conditions.

73

Ray, G4FON / N4FON