[UK-CONTEST] 80M CC CW

Andy Hamon andyh at cwgsy.net
Sat Feb 25 08:36:29 EST 2006

Chris

Thanks for the CW contesting master class ;-)

I admit to being one of the "heathens" that sent your call with the
report.
I cannot blame it on software or the fact that I am a novice, it was
my own choice.
The reasoning being:

a. To confirm that I had copied the call correctly
b. To make it clear that I am responding to you not the M3 station in
the noise 500 Hz away.

If this is "not proper" then I apologise for causing offence and
slowing your rate.

Looking at contesting in the wider context, it means different things
to different people. There are those who must win at any cost (we
generally know who they are) and there are those who just want
personal improvement. Some of us accept that we will never be trophy
winners or on the DXCC Honor Roll but strive for personal improvement
(make a few more QSOs than last time / a few more mults / improve
understanding of propagation) or just give a few points to our
friends / fellow club members. The Club Championships are meant to be
friendly contests, let's leave the "pistols at dawn" for Field Day or
CQWW.

If we were all adhering to the "Industry standard" (how I detest that
term) and "do the right thing", then most of today's "elite"
contesters would very quickly become the "also ran" category!

The "hobby" of contesting allows the very worst to compete with the
very best. How many athletic sports allow club athletes to compete in
the Olympics? With all the segregation and ranking systems in these
"hobbies", the elite still make a real hash of it.

Please remember it is a hobby and meant to be an enjoyable pass-time
not a chore.

73 and flame-proof suit at the ready.

Andy, GU4WTN