[UK-CONTEST] CW ops and reports

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Sat Feb 25 12:24:08 EST 2006

Hi all,

What attitudes displayed by some folk! And such a blinkered attitude at
that.

There were one or two instances on Thursday evening when I (while S&P'ing)
sent CALL TU 599 001 001 BK purely because there were two (or more) stations
VERY close together, and whilst I was correctly netted on to the station I
was calling, others were not!
On one occasion, I called a particular G4, only to hear another station
respond to my call.
This meant - to be sure I was logged by the correct call - that I sent the
exchange as above.

To say there is an "industry standard" is total bull. You have to work what
you can, and make sure you get logged by the right call! If that means
sending G3ABC TU 599 001 001 DE GU0SUP then that is what I will do!
I also had to judge whether to send the serial once or twice in the
sequence, and opted for twice, due to the high level of activity, and the
fact that the first couple of QSO's ended up with me repeating the number
anyway.

Of course, there is one option for us all in the next CW leg! When you come
across one of the moaners, go overboard and send something like G3ABC DE
GU0SUP TU ES GE OM UR RST 599 NR 001 001 G3ABC DE GU0SUP AR KN and see what
happens!
That could slow the rate of many a G3 !!

Ah well, it's only a hobby, and only a bit of fun anyway!

73 all

Phil GU0SUP