[UK-CONTEST] 80M CC CW

Colin Potter colin.potter1 at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 26 06:14:14 EST 2006

Hi all,

I am a bit diffident about my CW and when stations send at around 30wpm this
means I have to listen several times to get the call. I am however also
quite competitive but rarely can do anything other than S&P. Serials are
worked out by hearing a call with another station first!  This tortuous
method is, I submit, a lot harder than being able to just "Run" most of the
time. Despite this I managed 49 Q's (maybe!) with 10W last Thursday with a
double OFCD at 6-8m agl. Rig is INRAD filtered FT-920.

I sometimes have difficulty with fast calls especially having B's vs. D's or
U's vs. V's. In this case I too want to get on with the contest and get some
points for the club so, if in real doubt, I respond to the station's reply
to my call by "his call 5NN". I will get corrected if wrong (possibly with
moderated speed) but not if I was correct. So if you want my contacts then
either put up with the occasional call sign sent back or send just a bit
slower. The solution is of course for me is to improve my CW and this is
happening through practice, particularly because of the 80 CC and other
contests. I very much look forward to being able to "Run" without
infuriating people by asking for repeats of all details!

Hope to work you in the Data, SSB AND CW legs of later 80CC contests

73 Colin Potter M0DDT