[UK-CONTEST] 80M CC CW

Douglas Maxwell douglas.maxwell at virgin.net
Sun Feb 26 04:42:04 EST 2006

Hi Chris,

   I am sure this practice annoys most people, worse is after you call cq and someone comes back to you with your callsign first. I end up typing GM0E into the callsign field (as I have been caught out by GM0EGI in the past) and then having to alt-w and start again. This practice is annoying because it is pointless, but as others have pointed out, there must be a relaxation for casual ops so they can enjoy themselves whilst giving the more serious op valuable points. The practice you are chasing is more prevalent but is a lesser sin and in some cases could be deemed necessary when giving a rpt to a running stn with another running stn close by also coming back with your call and a rpt. The previous e-mail hit the nail on the head with the filter theory, the casual contest op may come on to give points away with little or no filtering and feel F2 is more appropriate than F6, but again this is operator choice and not a software fault. I'd rather these casual ops did this than not come on at all! I use SD the way the instructions suggest (the efficient way) and feel the key layout is better than the "conventional" as it separates running from S&P keys on the keyboard. I use CT for CQWW, WinLog for ARRL DX and SD for any RSGB single op stuff. I've also seen Wintest and it looked quite impressive, but I keep coming back to SD for it's simplicity and contest compatibility.
Cheers

Doug
GM0ELP